Friday, March 13, 2009

Chicken so good...

Let me recount Ava's experience with dinner last night. And I'll preface this with telling you that she's generally a pretty good eater (even if she asks for a peanut butter "samich" for lunch EVERY day.) She's a little less adventurous than she used to be, but she'll still eat goat cheese on a regular basis, which I find impressive.

Yes, we eat chicken a lot. Red meat is too unhealthy and I'm afraid the fish these days is so metal-laden it wouldn't pass through airport security. Hence, we eat a lot of chicken. Last night I roasted a whole bird, which Ava has had plenty of times before. Just recently though I started giving her a whole drumstick and letting her eat it unassisted, which she has found mildly interesting until last night, when the little carnivore within her was like a puppy with a treasured bone. She clamped on to it and wouldn't let go until it was practically bare. I had to reason with her and explain why she couldn't eat the knobby bottom end of the bone (where some of the crispy skin was still attached, for which she informed me she liked ever so much). After all the meat was gone, she proceeded to lick all her fingers, relishing every last bit. I wish I could have gotten it on video, but the whole thing happened so fast there wasn't time.

I can hardly wait for another winner, winner, chicken dinner (as we call it in our house)!

No comments: