Sunday, November 25, 2007

Ode to my dishpan hands

Those of you who know me best know that I have OCD tendencies, which have now invaded my dish washing.

I mentioned some time back that I'm more into hand washing than dishwasher washing because it forces me to put the dishes away in a timely fashion. (If I use the dishwasher, I'm much more apt to let them stay there for some time, then it's not available for dirty dishes, so I end up hand washing them anyways!) My inner environmentalist/conservationist has driven me to old fashioned dish washing, and I love it. Let me tell you why you should convert (back).
  1. The dishwasher uses a lot of water and energy....and if you're like most people you give the dishes a pretty good rinse under running water before they go in there anyways, increasing the water used in the overall cleaning process.

  2. Hand washing the dishes under running water can use just about as much water as running the washer.
  3. Filling one side of the sink about half ways provides enough water to wash the meals' dishes. Filling the other side of the sink about half ways provides enough water to rinse the dishes. I then dry them on a dish rack on top of a dish towel on the counter.

  4. Then (well, at least in theory) I quickly towel dry the dishes and put them away.

  5. I use the rinse water with a dish rag (the ones my grandma makes!) to clean the counters.

  6. Let the water out and....voila! Dishes done, little water consumed and calories burnt, not electricity!

(On top of this, I've also taken to sweeping the floor daily, instead of vacuuming it. Elbow grease to the rescue!)

(Oh, and I also put away the answering machine, because the only messages I get are from mom.....part of my recent adventure in cutting back on unnecessary energy usage!)

No comments: